County of San Benito Clerk, Auditor & Recorder

Marriage Licenses

Marriage licenses are issued to applicants on the spot. No appointments are necessary. A marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. Processing time is approximately 20 to 40 minutes. Afternoons and Fridays are the busiest times and the processing time may be longer.

Requirements for a Marriage License

There are no citizenship or residency requirements; nor are blood tests required. Applicants must be over 18 years of age. Couples can download the appropriate application for a marriage license from our website, complete it and bring it into our office.

Please read the General Marriage License Information in English

Please read the General Marriage License Information in Spanish

Persons authorized to perform your marriage

You must present your marriage license to a clergyman or judge to perform your marriage. Persons authorized to solemnize:

  • Any judge or retired judge
  • Commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages
  • Justice court judge in this state
  • Judge or magistrate of the U.S.
  • Judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
  • Priest, minister, pastor or rabbi of any religioius denomination of the age of 18 or over.
  • Deputy Commissioner of civil marriages – please see our Deputy Commissioner page for more information

What you must do to complete your application for marriage

To complete the application for a Marriage License a couple must:

  • Appear together in person.
  • Each present one form of a valid non-expired photo identification (driver’s license, passport).
  • If divorced within the last 90 days, provide proof of divorce decree or dissolution/termination of SRDP. If spouse is deceased, please provide copy of death certificate.

United States Armed Services stationed Overseas

A member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is stationed overseas serving in a conflict or a war and is unable to appear for the issuance of a license and solemnization of the marriage may enter into that marriage by the appearance of an attorney-in-fact, commissioned and empowered in writing for that purpose through a power of attorney.

The attorney-in-fact must personally appear at the County Clerk-Recorder Department with the party who is not stationed overseas, and present the original power of attorney duly signed by the party stationed overseas and acknowledged by a notary or witnessed by two officers of the United States Armed Forces.

The power of attorney shall state the true legal names of the parties to be married, and that the power of attorney is solely for the purpose of authorizing the attorney-in-fact to obtain a marriage license on the person’s behalf and participate in the solemnization of the marriage. The original power of attorney shall be a part of the marriage certificate upon registration.

Important information

In addition to the information above, please review the following additional information:


Skip Quicklinks Navigation

DISCLAIMER: The Information contained herein was believed to be valid at the time of publication. The San Benito County Clerk - Auditor - Recorder - Registrar of Voters reserves the right to make changes in the website at any time and without notice. San Benito County Registrar of Voters assumes no liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of errors, omissions or discrepancies. This website is for informational purposes only and separate from the County of San Benito website. This website includes links to other websites not controlled by the San Benito County Clerk - Auditor - Recorder - Registrar of Voters. The San Benito County Clerk - Auditor - Recorder - Registrar of Voters takes no responsibility for the views, content or accuracy of the other sites, nor does it endorse any content or products contained therein.