Joe Paul Gonzalez
NOTICE: COVID-19 Administrative Action
The purpose of this notice is to notify the public of the precautionary administrative action that the County Clerk/Recorder/Elections Department (CRE) will be taking effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Given the nature of the administrative actions and the need for further information, the plan and dates are likely to evolve, and we will update the public accordingly.
Administrative Action 1: CRE will close its over-the-counter services. Members of the public will have the option to take care of their business over the phone, online, mail or by office drop box.
Administrative Action 2 : CRE will restrict public services to ONLY San Benito County residents , or those whose birth, marriage or death records are recorded in San Benito County .
This is not a decision we take lightly. We know that these precautionary actions have a tremendous impact on the public. The safety of the public and staff remains our top priority, and we have confidence that this is the proper course of action. For more information, call (831) 636-4029.
Latest News (5/4/2020):
Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order that will allow adults to obtain marriage licenses via videoconference rather than in person amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, adults who wish to be married can conduct a ceremony to solemnize the marriage via videoconference. The provisions will be in place for the next 60 days.
For more information, please read the following instructions here and call the County Clerk Office to set an appointment at (831) 636-4029.
The County Clerk-Auditor-Recorder is an elective office for which the department consists of four divisions: the Click to go directly to County Clerk PageCounty Clerk, Click to go directly to Auditor PageAuditing, Click to go directly to Recorder PageRecorder and Click to go directly to Elections Information PageElection Division. The staff provides a number of services for the residents of San Benito County.
Department Mission Statement
Our mission is to serve San Benito County by providing extraordinary customer service when assisting the public. This includes being on the leading edge of operational best practices as well as further improving and increasing the knowledge and skills among staff for a more positive form of customer service.
As public servants, entrusted by the citizens to carry out the statutory mandates of the Office of the County Clerk-Auditor-Recorder, we pledge to:
- Treat our customers with respect and dignity, serving all in an equitable manner
- Respect taxpayer dollars, using our resources to achieve the highest level of efficiency at the lowest possible cost
- Faithfully adhere to our statutory duties
- Cooperate with our fellow County Offices and Departments to improve San Benito County government
- Continuously strive to improve the delivery of services to the public and those we serve within the County
- Promote professionalism within the County Clerk-Auditor-Recorder-Election Department and throughout County government
- Utilize the latest technologies where possible to improve public access to our records and preserve the historical records of the County