Candidates are an integral part of elections. On this page, and it’s sub pages (Forms and Manuals and FPPC 460s), the San Benito County Elections Division attempts to provide information for candidates and potential candidates.
Qualifications for candidacy
In general, all candidates for elected office must meet the following requirement:
- Registered to Vote at an address within the jurisdiction of the office. For example County Supervisors must reside within the boundaries of the district for which they are running; the Mayor of Hollister must reside within the city limits.
Some elected offices have specific qualifications for candidates. For the complete qualifications for a specific office, please click on one of the following offices:
- County Clerk/Auditor/Recorder
- District Attorney
- Treasurer/Tax Collector/Public Administrator
Helpful information and tools
As the next election nears, look to this page for links to helpful information the candidate needs to run for office. Return to view:
- Offices Up for Election
- How to become a Candidate – Primary elections – coming before the next primary election
- How to become a Candidate – November elections
- Invitation to Voter’s Edge California – League of Women Voters of California Education Fund invites all candidates to participate in Voter’s Edge California, which provides voters with all the candidates’ personal in-depth profiles free of charge to both the candidate and voter.
- Summary Calendar of candidate filing events
- Our Candidate’s Handbooks – Find all our current and past candidate handbooks here.
- Draft Handbook for March 2020 Primary – NOTE: Not official and not complete.
- Candidate Appointment Scheduler – In an effort to better server our candidates, we ask that you pre-schedule an appointment for filing your paperwork, or to consult with us about the requirements and process of becoming a candidate.
- Application for Voter Registration Information
- Reach the people who are eligible to vote for you
- Complete application to obtain copies of voter registration data for your specified jurisdiction
- Application for Elections Information
- Complete application to obtain maps for your campaign use. Cost depends on size and level of detail.
- Form 410 & 460 Electronic Filing – eCampaign
- Complete and file a Form 410 Amendment
- Complete and file your Form 460 or amendments
Additionally, please feel free to view our Elections and Filings Calendar for the most up to date election related events and scheduled FPPC filings.