The Elections Department strives to provide Vote Centers that are accessible to the elderly and voters with disabilities. If a Vote Center does not meet accessibility guidelines, call (877) 777-4017 to receive information on alternative methods of voting.
San Benito County’s electronic voting system with accessible features, including touchscreen and audio, gives voters with disabilities the ability to cast a secret ballot without assistance. The voting system is equipped with an audio voting component that allows voters to listen to the ballot and make their choices using the keypad provided.
The keypad includes a “sip and puff” feature as well.
Voters who are unable to mark a ballot, may bring up to two individuals to assist them in voting.
Remote Accessible Vote by Mail (RAVBM) – Accessible Voting
A Remote Accessible Vote by Mail (RAVBM) system allows voters to mark their selections using their own compatible technology to vote independently and privately in the comfort of their own home. To use a RAVBM system, a voter must:
- Request an RAVBM ballot
- Log into the provided RAVBM screen reader friendly website
- Mark their selections
- Download their marked ballot and instructions
- Print their ballot and instructions
- Sign the envelope (using the envelope provided with the vote-by-mail ballot or the voter’s own envelope)
- Return the printed and signed selections either by mail or by dropping it off at a voting location. The selections cannot be returned electronically.